Monday, March 7, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

Ben and I returned home Sunday evening from a weekend at his parents place.  I wasn't able to do any grocery shopping over the weekend, but luckily 20 or so stuffed peppers were waiting in the fridge.

I must confess, I didn't really like this all that much when I made them Thursday night.  We made them twice over the summer while I was pregnant with Reid and I LOVED them.  I thought I could go vegetarian for them.  I've craved them ever since, so imagine my joy when I found the mini sweet peppers at Sam's Club.  It seems I must have craved salt while I was pregnant, cause not-pregnant these tasted WAY to salty.  I think maybe we should have used the crumbly feta we bought last time.  Or maybe I stuffed them too much.  I don't know, but they just tasted too salty.

Either way, I'll try them one more before I give up (or just wait until I'm prego again).  Ben still liked them.  He ate them that night, cold the next day for lunch.  Cold and microwaved Sunday when we came home, and then broiled tonight.  Whew, that's how you stretch a meal (and therefore a budget)!

30 mini sweet peppers
7 oz feta cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil (packed down)
1/4 cup fresh rosemary (packed down)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Slice the peppers from stem to tip on one side, leaving the stem intact. Carefully remove the seeds , there aren’t too many.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the feta, basil, rosemary and sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse until evenly chopped (the mixture should be very fine).
4. Use a small spoon to divide the feta mixture among the peppers. Pack a bit of the stuffing into each side of the sliced peppers.  Place completed peppers on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until peppers are just starting to soften. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot or cold.

We like this with couscous and broccoli.  The meal really was so delish on my balcony in DC, not so delish in my kitchen in Wisconsin.  Hmmm?

No comments :

Post a Comment

view sourceprint? 01 09 10