Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chicken Roll Ups

I'm going to go with this name, since that is what Ben and I have called them over the years.  But I think Homemade Hot Pockets would be more fitting.  Or Chicken Stuffed Biscuits.  I don't know, they just don't really feel like "roll ups."

To the point:  this recipe is a combination of one of Ben's mom's classics and a dinner my mom made for us back when I was hospitalized.  We just took the two dishes and came up with one dish we like best.  We use to make these all the time.  They'll feed two people for days.  I made them once for my volleyball team while I was head coach at Dunbar.  The girls were super impressed and if anything it just made me feel bad that they never have homemade (or family style) meals.  Anyway, enough recollecting the "comfort" in this comfort food.  Let's get to the recipe.

You'll need:
*  2lbs cooked chicken, cubed
*  3 cans regular (or low fat) triangle crescent rolls
*  1/2 a small/medium head of brocoli
*  small can mushroom stems and pieces
*  8 oz softened cream cheese
*  8 oz sour cream
*  1 can cream of chicken soup
*  3 Tbl melted butter
*  Italian bread crumbs (if all you have is plain, just add some spices to "Italian" it up (oregano, marjoram, etc))
Pull out the cream cheese and let it soften a little.  Shave or cut the top (bushy part) of 1/3 to 1/2 a head of brocoli (you want small pieces of brocoli to go inside your rolls).  Prepare chicken (our mom's boil the breasts, if you do this method you will want to start the chicken first.  I usually cut it up small and then saute it in some olive oil or chicken broth and then wash and prep my side dish while it cooks).  In a medium bowl add chicken, brocoli, can of mushrooms (with juice) and cream cheese.  Stir until incorporated evenly.

Heat oven to 400

Melt your butter on one plate and pour bread crumbs on another.  Open crecsent rolls.  Do not separate triangles; leave two together in form of a square.  Dip one side in butter, then crumbs, then place crumb side down on cookie sheet.  Spoon chicken mix onto one half of the roll.  Pull the "un-chickened" side of the roll on top of the mixture and pinch sides together, making your stuffed pocket.  Repeat until you fill 2 cookie sheets with 12 squares.  You're finges will get messy.  When we use to make these together one of us would dip and the other would stuff and pinch.  Great combo.  

Cook about 12 minutes.

While cooking combine the sour cream and cream of chicken soup  in a saucepan over medium-high heat (and if you accidently pull cream of celery or cream of mushroom out of the cupboard you'll be fine, trust me).  Use this mixture as a gravy to serve over the pockets.  It's yum, don't worry about "soggy" pockets.  This really adds great flavor.

And one day I'll have a *finished product* picture go here.  But yesterday I just wanted to gobble them up when I pulled them out of the oven.  Hot food on a snowy day, YUM!

We like steamed veggies (a brocoli, cauliflower, carrots medoly) as a side dish.  Green beans, asparagus, even corn and potatoes will work as well.  I feel like this would be a great dish to use when teaching a tween how to cook.  Not much they can mess up but it takes long enough they'll really feel like they accomplished something in the kitchen.  Just sayin'

No comments :

Post a Comment

view sourceprint? 01 09 10